Job Number 19160552
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa| 3030
Holiday Drive| Fort Lauderdale| Florida| United States
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and
Marriott Hotels | Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than
500 global locations| is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can
travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels| you will help keep this
promise by delivering premium choices| sophisticated style| and well-crafted
details. With your skills and imagination| together we will innovate and
reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International|s luxury portfolio and
consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and
distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come
first. Because if you’re happy| our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as
that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other| where you’ll be
part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-
workers. JW creates opportunities for training| development| recognition and
most importantly| a place where you can really pursue your passions in a
luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take
care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits
culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and
managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and
employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all
kitchen areas to ensure a consistent| high quality product is produced.
Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must
ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary| food and
beverage| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary|
food and beverage| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Culinary Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Supervises and manages employees. Managing all day-to-day operations.
Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees|
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Solicits employee feedback| utilizes an |open door| policy and reviews
employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees
and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests
based on required specifications.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Develops| designs| or creates new applications| ideas| relationships|
systems| or products| including artistic contributions.
• Supervises kitchen shift operations and ensures compliance with all Food &
Beverage policies| standards and procedures.
• Recognizes superior quality products| presentations and flavor.
• Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation
• Assists Executive Chef with all kitchen operations.
• Maintains purchasing| receiving and food storage standards.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types| either on a regular basis or for
special guests or functions.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Manages day-to-day operations| ensures the quality| standards and meeting
the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Improves service by communicating and assists individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize| organize| and accomplish
• Understands the impact of departments operation on the overall property
financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches| mentors| or
otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Identifies the educational needs of others| develops formal educational or
training programs or classes| and teaches or instructs others.
• Manages payroll administration.
• Brings issues to the attention of the department manager and Human Resources
• Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business
demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service| operational needs and
financial objectives are met.
• Participates in employee progress discipline procedures.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| providing
feedback as needed.
• Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.