Job Number 190018FW
Job Category Event Management
Location Sheraton Grand Chicago| 301 East North Water Street| Chicago|
Illinois| United States
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Sheraton| we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by
our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love
what we do| and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests
stay with us| it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an
experience. We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything
they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the
lives of those around you| we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
Responsible for preparing all event documentation and coordinates with Sales|
property departments and customer to ensure consistent| high level service
throughout pre-event| event and post-event phases of property events. This
position primarily handles events of average complexity. Ensures their
property events have a seamless turnover from sales to service back to sales.
Recognizes opportunities to maximize revenue opportunities by up-selling and
offering enhancements to create outstanding events.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; experienced (1 – 2 years of experience) in the
event management or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant
Management| Hospitality| Business Administration| or related major; at least 1
year experience in the event management or related professional area required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Event Logistics and Operations
• Ensures that events progress seamlessly by following established procedures|
collaborating with other employees| and ensuring accuracy.
• Greets customer during the event phase and hands-off to the Event Operations
team for the execution of details.
• Adheres to all standards| policies| and procedures.
• Ensures billing accuracy and conducts bill reviews with the clients prior to
processing the final bill.
• Manages group room blocks and meeting space for average to large-sized
• Identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and
determines how to best work with the property staff and customer to solve
these challenges and/or develop alternative solutions.
• Uses his/her judgment to integrate current trends in event management and
• Acts as liaison between field sales person and customer throughout the event
process (pre-event| event| post-event).
• Participates in customer site inspections and assists with the sales process
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Solicits feedback from the property departments to identify areas for
improvement to enhance the Event Planner’s experience.
Ensuring and Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Delivers excellent customer service throughout the customer experience and
encourages the same from other employees.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Coordinates and communicates event details both verbally and in writing to
the customer and property operations.
• Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process.
• Oversees his/her customer experiences from file turnover through the post
event phase until turnover back to sales.
• Follows up with customer post-event.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Uses personal judgment and expertise to enhance the customer experience.
• Stays available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous
• Works to continually improve customer service by integrating obtained
feedback and personal judgment into action plans.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
• Ensures hourly employees understand expectations and parameters for event
Leading Event Management Teams
• Conducts formal pre- and post-event meetings as required to
review/communicate group needs and feedback.
• Leads formal pre-event and post-event meetings for average to large-sized
• Facilitates various meetings as he/she perceives necessary (Banquet Event
Order meeting| block review| etc).
Supporting and Coordinating with the Sales and Marketing Function
• Assists in the sales process and revenue forecasting for customer groups.
• Up-sells products and services throughout the event process.
• Forecasts group sleeping rooms and event revenue (catering and audio visual)
for his/her groups.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with employees.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals
• Assists in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
• Take initiative to use his/her experience to improve service performance
according to his/her evaluation of the issue and resolution.
• Works with the property staff and customers to address operational
challenges associated with his/her group.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Adaptability – Maintains performance level under pressure or when
experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
• Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing
and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making – Identifies and understands
issues| problems| and opportunities; obtains and compares information from
different sources to draw conclusions| develop and evaluate alternatives and
solutions| solve problems| and choose a course of action.
• Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey
confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and
represents the company in alignment with its values.
• Building and Contributing to Teams – Actively participates as a member
of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
• Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self
and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates| focuses|
and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment
goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to
set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work
requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
• Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds
openness| trust| and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and
• Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on
an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s
• Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse
styles| abilities| motivations| and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes
differences to drive innovation| engagement and enhance business results; and
ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of own
assignments and suggests improvements to work processes to best fit the needs
and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
• Talent Management – Provides support and feedback to help individuals
develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities
to improve performance of self and/or others.
• Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to
manage everyday operations.
• Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and
knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
o Event Planning – The ability to connect with customers| detail events|
upsell products and services| manage multiple customers at a given time| be
detailed orientated| understand and have a working knowledge of catering and
event management systems.
o Event Services – Have a working knowledge of standards and procedures
for proper meeting room and table set-ups| various meeting room and table
configurations and the set-up of staging and dance flooring.
• Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for
accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software
(e.g.| personal computers| word processing software| Internet browsers| etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add| subtract|
multiply| or divide quickly| correctly| and in a way that allows one to solve
o Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand
information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences
and paragraphs in work-related documents.
o Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the
needs of the audience.